Bran muffins … I just love these for breakfast or a snack. This recipe is made with spelt flour instead of white flour, but you can also use white or you could also use another whole grain flour 👩🍳
“Wheat bran” is becoming harder to find these days. If you’re in the UK, I’ve been told you can get find wheat bran at Holland & Barrett, and I’ve also seen it online other places as well. I kind of had a tough time finding it in Canada, but I managed to eventually find it at a larger supermarket.
Blueberry Bran Muffins With Spelt Flour – The Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, I used an unsweetened almond this time
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used a light tasting olive oil this time)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup blueberries (they can be frozen or fresh)
- Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C and either grease a muffin tin (this makes 10 muffins or 12 smaller ones) or line with muffin cups.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl/large measuring cup, mix the wet ingredients and whisk the egg, then add to the wet.
- Add in the blueberries, and mix all the ingredients together.
- Spoon into your muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Note – you can leave the blueberries out for a plain version, or add another fruit or carrots as well for carrot bran muffins. I stored these in a container in a fridge … they’re great for breakfast! I skip the butter and to me these make a super nice and healthy breakfast!
PS – you can watch a video tutorial of this recipe on Instagram here.