Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip muffins … these were so yummy, perfectly moist and easy to make!
What makes these “healthy”? I used spelt flour and they also have a bit of flax and yogurt instead of oil. These are a great way to use up ripe bananas as well! 🍌
- 1 + 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 (medium-sized) mashed bananas
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Note: if you use 3-5 bananas, the recipe should turn out ok!
- Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (the spelt flour, ground flax, brown sugar, baking soda, salt) in a large mixing bowl.
- Either make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients (the mashed bananas, egg and yogurt) to it and mix them up, or mix the wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl and then add them to the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together with a spoon or spatula. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon into muffin your muffin tray (this makes about 12 regular-sized muffins) and bake for ~20 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy 🙂
These are one of my favourite muffin recipes right now … (along with my bran muffins too, which are also made with spelt flour).
Note: for the flour, you can also use whole wheat flour or another whole grain flour. The yogurt can be a regular or plant-based one, I used a vanilla-flavoured Greek one for this recipe and they turned out great. I store my muffins in the fridge and have them for breaky.